Come work at a place where innovation and teamwork come together to support the most exciting missions in the world!
The General Manager (GM) is responsible for leading through Petco’s vision of “Healthier Pets. Happier People. Better World.” in order to develop a high-performing team that consistently delivers top-line sales growth while maintaining a focus on the welfare, health and proper care of all animals. The GM leads a team of store department managers and is accountable for all aspects of managing a single retail store, including all in-store services. This leader drives his/her business through a focus on people (talent acquisition, training, and development), performance (guest service, sales, and expense control), process (standard operating procedures and policies), which will result in overall profitability. The GM must exercise discretion and independent judgment to execute store activity to create the best possible partner, guest and pet experience. This position requires a passion for pets, focus on process excellence, a drive for results, and the ability to lead and influence.
Essential Job Functions:
The incumbent must be able to perform all of the following duties and responsibilities with or without a reasonable accommodation. As a leader of people & pet care, execute all tasks skillfully and consistently through the following (as well as all other projects/duties as assigned):
- Build a team that embodies the Petco brand by delivering exceptional service and driving guest loyalty.
- Attract, hire, and retain a diverse team of top talent.
- Train, coach, and develop department level leaders and hourly store partners in all areas and functions required to run the store efficiently and to Petco standards, including the effective rollout selling models.
- Create an environment that inspires and encourages the growth and engagement of partners.
- Promote a positive culture of teamwork by working alongside the leadership team, establishing priorities, and providing clear direction.
- Ensure quick and courteous service to all PETCO customers by helping partners determine the guest’s needs and by sharing product knowledge with partners to enable them to suggest the appropriate merchandise to meet the customer’s needs.
- Responsible for all partner performance management in the store. - Demonstrate and support a continuous improvement and growth mindset.
- Performance - Meet or exceed goals related to total store sales, profitability, and operational excellence.
- Schedule and adjust labor hours & payroll to maximize productivity, achieve sales & payroll goals, and complete workload.
- Review and interpret financial and operational reporting regularly, including store visit and audit results.
- Identify underperforming metrics and develop strategies that leverage Petco programs, tools, and resources to improve and grow the business.
- Market the store and its products, oversee planning of in-store and community events, such as adoptions, school visits and other local promotions and animal-welfare events.
- Ensure the proper health, appearance, welfare, and proper handling of all animals.
- Ensure merchandise is properly priced, displayed and stocked according to inventory levels appropriate for the store; make merchandising decisions with consideration of visual standards, special ad set-up and monthly ad planner guidelines, adjusting these as necessary to best implement in each individual store.
- Complete and submit accounting, inventory management and payroll paperwork in a timely manner; ensures all expenses are maintained within budgeted levels.
- Maintain the store's appearance adheres to Petco operational standards and safety procedures.
- Protect Petco pets & merchandise, and minimize loss by ensuring all store standards and operating procedures are met, including workplace safety, inventory control, and loss prevention.
- Ensure store is opened/closed in accordance with policies and procedures, especially those relating to safety and security.
- Responsible to maintain the store’s professional image, appearance and cleanliness.
Nature of Supervision:
General instruction is provided on some, but not all tasks to be performed. The District Manager will periodically review the store performance and results. The General Manager is expected to manage the store’s payroll, sales and shrink budgets and is held accountable for results.
The GM is responsible for all people working and activities conducted in the center stores and services functions.
The majority of job duties are conducted indoors, although occasional merchandise stocking, customer carry-outs, and bank deposits will require that an employee leave the store briefly. Because this position requires bending, kneeling, moving merchandise (up to 50 pounds, as necessary) and standing for long periods of time, there may be risk of injury resulting from failure to follow safety precautions and procedures. A limited amount of travel will be required.
Petco Animal Supplies, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, protected veteran status, or any other protected classification.
25 - 50
$5M - $10M
The job skills required for Store General Manager include Merchandising, Planning, Inventory Management, Guest Service, Training and development, Teamwork, etc. Having related job skills and expertise will give you an advantage when applying to be a Store General Manager. That makes you unique and can impact how much salary you can get paid. Below are job openings related to skills required by Store General Manager. Select any job title you are interested in and start to search job requirements.
Inventory ManagementView Jobs
Guest ServiceView Jobs
Training and developmentView Jobs