Planned Parenthood Federation of America (PPFA) is the national umbrella organization for the nation’s leading network of women’s health care providers, educators, and advocates, serving women, men, teens and families. For over 100 years, Planned Parenthood has done more than any other organization in the United States to improve women’s health and safety, prevent unintended pregnancies, and advance the right and ability of individuals and families to make informed and responsible health care decisions. Planned Parenthood Action Fund (PPAF) is the advocacy and political arm of PPFA.
Responsible for performing entries and reconciliations directly related to assigned accounting functions. Participates in setting own objectives and priorities and follows through in accordance with established procedures. Recommends changes to improve work systems and/or procedures.
• Comprehensive knowledge of all systems used by the Finance Division, including but not limited to: Sage X3, Bank of America (BOA) CashPro and any new system implemented by the organization. Ensures the effective and efficient use of such systems. • Records bank fees and other items that are charged or deposited directly to our bank accounts and performs monthly reconciliation of all bank accounts.
• Records daily cash deposit journal entries.
• Prepares and records journal entries relating to payroll, chargebacks, revenue, re-deposited checks, stock gifts, gift annuity liability adjustments; ensuring the transactions are complete and accurate.
• Prepares and record journal entries relating to accruals and performs monthly reconciliation of accrual accounts.
• Researches and analyzes inquiries made to Finance by other departments such as questionable charges, reclassifications needed, determining appropriate accounting treatment for transactions, and information needed for internal/external reporting. Processes and records related journal entries.
Processes all personnel change notices (PCNs) requiring salary, payroll tax and benefit reallocation amongst varying budget codes. Prepares journal entries and records them in the general ledger system.
• Prepares quarterly joint cost analysis for review and approval.
• Works closely with the Program & Grants Financial Management team to allocate overhead costs monthly to Restricted Grants and Strategic Initiatives in accordance with donor requirements and organization guidelines.
• Reconciles Publications accounts.
• Reconciles various balance sheet accounts, including prepaid postage, accounts receivable, intercompany accounts, affiliate pass-through accounts and payroll accounts to ensure they are accurate and properly reflected in the general ledger.
• Records quarterly effort report reconciliation entries.
• Records inventory related transactions.
• Records journal entries relating to PPFA’s credit card program (WORKS), manual reimbursements (TER’s), and employee advance accounts and prepares corresponding reconciliations.
• Coordinates with the Controller on year-end general ledger closing procedures and prepares schedules, analyses, and special projects in conjunction with year-end fiscal audit.
• Provides on-going assistance and consultation to Finance staff and facilitates problem resolution; acts as non-supervisory coach to peers.
• Independently solves routine problems and selects solutions from a variety of established standards or procedures.
• Performs special projects and other duties as assigned or requested by the Assistant Controller and/or Controller.
• This role works closely with all functions in finance, development, financial operations and management staff throughout the organization.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities (KSAs):
• Education: Bachelor’s degree in Accounting desired.
• Experience: 1 year of directly-related, progressively responsible accounting experience is required.
• Strong computer skills are necessary, including Microsoft Office, Google Office Suite, and Google Chrome internet browser.
• Strong written and verbal communication skills with excellent planning, organizational, coordination and time management skills.
• Ability to analyze and solve problems.
• Must be able to work with little or no supervision and multi-task effectively.
• Must demonstrate a keen attention to detail.
Starting salary: $65K
Final offers for this job will be based on capabilities and will be made within the parameters of the PPFA compensation program. Total offer package to include generous vacation sick leave paid holidays, individual/family provided medical, dental and vision benefits effective day 1, life insurance, short/long term disability, paid family leave and 401k. We also offer voluntary opt in for Flexible Spending Account (FSA) and Transportation/Commuter accounts.
We value a truly diverse workforce and a culture of inclusivity and belonging. Our goal is to attract qualified candidates and encourage applications from all individuals without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law. We're committed to creating a dynamic work environment that values diversity and inclusion, respect and integrity, customer focus, and innovation.
PPFA participates in the E-Verify program and is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
If denoted as NYC, DC, or both, this position is usually located in our New York City or DC office, but is remote while offices remain closed due to the COVID-19 pandemic.