Director of Programming and the Center for Adult Jewish Learning
This role serves as a centralized connector between the relational and people-centered work of our full team of clergy, staff, and lay-leaders and the administrative systems and procedures necessary for successful program development and delivery. Through strategic oversight and a sharpened focus on cross-department collaboration and external partnership, this role helps ensure meaningful opportunities for engagement and connection for all current and future people in Temple Israel’s orbit.
As a part of the staff team, entrusted by our community members to embody the spirit and enliven the mission of Temple Israel, the Program Director will constantly strive to maintain a helpful, supportive attitude toward the work, the organization, and the community. This position reports to the Rabbi/Director of Congregational Learning and coordinates with the Senior Rabbi.
This position is full time and exempt.
- This position works with the Rabbi/Director of Congregational Learning and other members of the Clergy, as well as the Adult Education Committee, to guarantee the success, vision, development and smooth functioning of the Center for Adult Jewish Learning at Temple Israel.
- Class and Event Management, i.e. build Adult Education schedule, recruit and support teachers, oversee class/event registration and logistics, collaborate with Facilities and IT staff for setups and tech needs, coordinate program evaluations, and ensure swift billing and payments process
- Communication and Outreach, i.e. maintain lists for program participants and interest leads, design and oversee outreach and communications strategies for all programs
- Work with lay leaders and committees to ensure Adult Education vision and direction within the context of the larger synagogue goals and activities
- Lead the Adult Education staff team in support of Temple Israel Lifelong Learning (TILLI), Library Events, and other relevant adult learning programs.
- Day to day supervision of the Adult Education Coordinator.
- Oversee and support temple-wide program development at every stage of the process:
- Lead the temple wide program planning team. Design and lead regular vision and planning meetings, including the yearly calendar meeting, holiday planning, and other moments for cross-community engagement.
- Work closely with clergy, lay-leaders, and program staff ongoing to ensure the calendar of events aligns with our mission and goals of engagement - will involve strategic conversations around scheduling/cycle of the year, as well as goals of each program and the intended audience/reach/impact
- Ensure clear communication, productive collaboration, and effective program delivery across all departments and cohorts by supporting the development and implementation of internal systems and workflow procedures around event planning (including standard program evaluation tools and outreach/follow up strategies)
- Lead the project management for large programs and events, including High Holy Days Clergy program management
- Pursue and nurture partnerships with mission-aligned organizations and thought-leaders to enhance and support Temple Israel’s role as the “Jewish hub of the Hub”
- Work with Director of Membership and Development to apply for and manage grant opportunities where appropriate
- Collaborate with the Communications team on temple-wide messaging and storytelling about various programs and events and all the different opportunities for engagement. Oversee program-related outreach efforts and post-event communications
- Member of the Senior Staff team at Temple Israel
Qualifications and Skills
- Undergraduate degree required, Post Secondary degree in Jewish studies, Education, Organizational Management and/or MBA preferred
- Technological proficiency with Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Google Docs, Zoom and DropBox; Ability to learn and master new technologies - training support provided for Salesforce, FormAssembly and other new technologies as they become available.
- Exemplary written and verbal skills
- Tenacious attention to detail, even under tight deadlines
- Ability to prioritize tasks and manage multiple projects
- Professionalism, diplomacy, and discretion with confidential matters
- A demonstrated capacity to collaborate and foster relationships
- Knowledge of the local Jewish landscape, synagogue life, Jewish education, Jewish holiday cycle, and Hebrew necessary
- Patience and sense of humor
Salary and benefits
The salary range for this position is $80,000 - $90,000. Our benefits package includes: health insurance, dental insurance, short & long-term disability, flexible spending account, dependent care pre-tax account, Massachusetts Paid Family Leave, vacation and sick time, paid secular and Jewish holidays, generous 403b with vested match, monthly MBTA T Pass, cell phone stipend and Temple Israel membership.
About Temple Israel
Temple Israel (TI) of Boston’s mission is “Living Judaism together through discovery, dynamic spirituality and righteous impact.” We live this mission daily through our commitment to Jewish creativity, and our dynamic approach to building Jewish community. Widely known for offering an array of Jewish experiences and social justice, and cultural programming, Temple Israel is proud of its expansive and inclusive educational program. Our historic building is home to a Pre-K through 7th grade religious school, a pluralistic, city-wide teen program called “The Tent”, “The Village” a robust program for young families, and thriving opportunities for adult learning through our Center for Adult Jewish Learning (CAJL) including Temple Israel Lifelong Learning Institute (TILLI). To learn more, visit us at www.tisrael.org.