Summary of Position: The Benefits Coordinator is responsible for helping low-income individuals and households apply (and re-apply) for Social Security Income Benefits. In addition, Benefits Coordinators will screen clients for other resources they may qualify for, including SNAP, TANF, and other external and internal income supports.
Position Type: This is a full-time position and reports to the Project Director.
Work Environment: This position operates as a hybrid-work model. Employees who remain in good standing will be allowed to work remotely and in person as needed. The work hours are typically Monday through Friday, 9:00 AM to 5:00 PM, but subject to change if needed.
· Interviews clients to determine eligibility for benefits and assists them with completing application forms for State and Federal benefit programs.
· Obtain SOAR (SSI/SSDI, Outreach, Access & Recovery) Certification. This process will be used to assist individuals who are experiencing or at risk of homelessness and low-income apply for the Social Security Administration's (SSA) disability programs: Supplemental Security Income (SSI) and Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI).
· Collaborates with clients to complete SSI/SSDI applications following program policies and procedures, and writes a Medical Summary Report to support SSI/SSDI applications.
· Communicates with clients, SSA, Medical Records Departments, and other agencies to complete the SSI/SSDI application process.
· Participates, as needed, in weekly/monthly SOAR Coordination Meetings and act as agency liaison with SOAR Technical Assistance (TA) Specialist.
· Helps gather requisite evidence from medical, military, community, and other sources to support benefits determinations by Disability Determination Services (DDS) of the SSA and any other state benefits.
· Works collaboratively with SSA, DDS, community providers, and other key stakeholders.
· Upholds the mission and values of VOA of Illinois at all times.
Other Duties: As assigned by supervisor.
Physical Demands: Physical demands may be a part of the essential functions of this position, especially as it relates to the capacity to move freely around with one of VOA's community vehicles helping to transport clients or meet them in the community as needed. Reasonable accommodations for the physical demands of the position's essential functions can be considered and made when possible in response to a specific request.
· High school diploma or GED
· Must obtain SOAR certification no later than within 30 days from the start of employment
· Experience in service management, including organizing, problem-solving, and advocating.
· Experience and demonstrated proficiency/success in leveraging and working with community resources.
· Ability to communicate effectively and maintain good relations with clients and employees.
· Excellent communication, writing, attention to detail, and organization skills.
· Individual must have a valid driver's license in the state of Illinois, have access to a safe and reliable vehicle during all work hours, and have adequate and current vehicle insurance.
· Proficient in Microsoft Office, especially spreadsheets, database, and reporting tools.
· Bachelor's degree
· Case Management and public benefits screening experience
· Bilingual in Spanish and English
Volunteers of America of Illinois provides equal employment opportunity to all individuals regardless of their race, color, creed, religion, gender, age, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by state, federal, or local law.
Reasonable accommodations are available and will be provided to qualified applicants and employees with disabilities. Generally, the individual with a disability must inform VOA of IL that an accommodation is needed.
25 - 50
If you are interested in becoming a Benefits Coordinator, you need to understand the job requirements and the detailed related responsibilities. Of course, a good educational background and an applicable major will also help in job hunting. Below are some tips on how to become a Benefits Coordinator for your reference.
Step 1: Understand the job description and responsibilities of an Accountant.
Quotes from people on Benefits Coordinator job description and responsibilities
Benefits coordinators often research existing packages and use collected data to create new plans.
04/18/2022: Saint Louis, MO
Because many benefits are subject to local, state and federal regulations, benefits coordinators monitor compliance regularly.
03/23/2022: New Orleans, LA
They also monitor trends so they can recommend benefits that are likely to attract qualified candidates.
04/13/2022: Dayton, OH
The Benefits Coordinator communicates the organization’s pay philosophy to employees.
01/21/2022: Tulsa, OK
Benefits Coordinator serves as a compensation coordinator, a training coordinator, an employee assistance counseling coordinator, a management coach, an employee relations specialist, an onsite recruiting coordinator, and a problem solver.
04/05/2022: Long Beach, CA
Step 2: Knowing the best tips for becoming an Accountant can help you explore the needs of the position and prepare for the job-related knowledge well ahead of time.
Career tips from people on Benefits Coordinator jobs
Benefits coordinators also help employees understand leave policies and oversee COBRA, or the Consolidated Omnibus Budget Reconciliation Act, and Family and Medical Leave Act usage.
02/09/2022: Albuquerque, NM
Some benefits coordinators also track employee payroll data, such as vacation time and sick leave.
02/22/2022: Racine, WI
To be effective and reliable advisers on employee benefits, benefits coordinators must have up-to-date knowledge on applicable laws.
03/17/2022: Waterloo, IA
Benefits coordinators correspond with employees' physicians, maintain employee attendance records and confer with payroll processors throughout the FMLA absence.
01/22/2022: Albany, NY
Managing significant environmental aspects.
04/08/2022: Lompoc, CA
Step 3: View the best colleges and universities for Benefits Coordinator.